Sharing a bit of Historical Food Fun today!
National Jelly Bean Day
Five Food Finds about Jelly Beans
- They were President Reagan’s favorite candy and he used them to help him quit smoking when he was the governor of California.
- Each year in the U.S, there are 16 billion jelly beans manufactured just for Easter. This is enough to circle the Earth more than 3 times if they were laid end to end.
- The jelly bean is associated with Easter because of its egg-like shape.
- In the early 20th century, a “jelly-bean” was slang for a man of style and no substance.
- They were the first candy to be sold by weight rather than by piece.
Today’s Food History
on this day in…
1662 John Tradescant died. He succeeded his father as naturalist and gardener to Charles I. 1818 Cadwallader C. Washburn is born in Livermore, Maine. In 1866 he built a flour mill at St. Anthony Falls…
View original post 217 more words